Sunday, June 16, 2013

Butternut and Carrot Soup

I love pumpkin soup.... Well, I guess it's all technically squash here in New Zealand, but I love it. Usually I make one with the ol' classic grey pumpkins. This however is butternut squash. So much easier to deal with.
Final blitzed soup in the pot




Ingredients:
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 litre vegetable stock

Method

Peel the butternut squash. I use a simple veggie peeler. So much easier than the tough pumpkins. Cut the squash in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds. I tend to just throw these in the garden. Next year they just pop up as squash.



Peel and cut the onion and carrots. Cut up the squash into palm sized chunks. Throw all ingredients in a soup pot. Boil the whole thing on a low heat, and keep stirring. After about 30 minutes, turn the heat off, place on a lid, and rest.

I like to leave it overnight at this point because everyone knows soup gets better with age. Remove the bay leaf.  Blitz the soup with a stick blender. Boil.

You can add parsley, chives or cream at this point, or leave it as it is. I like to section some off into 2 cup baggies and freeze for a later date. Don't add cream if you are going to freeze it.

This recipe yields approximately 2 1/2 litres of soup, depending on the size if your veggies.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment