Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Super Simple "Emergency" Soup

Well, it was cold last night, and the realisation that I could have been at work, without my car all day... well... it made me want comfort food.  This soup just needs to boil for about 20 minutes, then just boil again during breakfast to be hot to take to work.  And it only takes about 5 minutes to prepare.  This is why I call it "Emergency" soup.  It's super easy to make for an unexpected group for lunch or dinner, and always makes enough for left overs.  In case of people arriving while soup is on... add more water and croutons. 

Ingredients
1 packet Kings Hearty Vegetable soup mix (I know... it is a cheat... but I like that it already has barley and lentils in the packet....)
1 small onion
1/2 leek
1/2 bunch of celery
2 carrots
Salt and pepper
1 thingy of vegetable stock (I used to use cubes, now I get little tubs of vegetable stock concentrate)
2 litres water

1.  Turn the heat on low, and place a large saucepan on the stove.
2.  Dice the onion, throw into the pot.  Slice the celery and leek, to about 7mm in width, throw in the pot.  Give it a wee stir.  The celery will smell amazing.
3.  Peel and slice the carrot.  I usually make carrot hearts, but I was in a rush.  Throw in pot.  Give everything a good stir.
4.  Add the soup mix, stock, salt and pepper, stir.
5.  Add the water.  Let everything boil for about 20 minutes, turn off the heat, and place the lid on top of the pot.

Next morning, boil and take in a travel mug.  Nom.  The only issue... I clearly did not take enough soup today. :(

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I like have simple recipes to pull out in an emergency. Thanks for sharing. I'm visiting from Find a Friend Friday.

    ReplyDelete