Sunday, April 7, 2013

I can't believe it's not bacon! Fritatta

 Well, I can believe it's not bacon, but the husband doesn't pay that much attention. ;)  This is my potato oven baked fritatta with red onions.  It is super easy, and fantastic for cold days when a sandwich for lunch is unappealing.  I like it cold, the husband likes it re-heated.

Ingredients (for 6 large servings)
8 eggs (I used 9 because I didn't want to leave one all lonesome in the fridge...)
2 Tbs milk
6 medium potatoes (I use the red ones because I like the colour)
1/2 red onion (diced)
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup grated cheese
Slice the potatoes, about 1cm thick.  You want these as similar as possible.  You could use a mandolin, but I have been showing off my newly accquired knife skills ;) (well, I didn't cut myself so that is a skill).  Boil the potatoes until ALMOST cooked.  Let them drain in a colander.

 Place the eggs in a bowl with the milk and salt and pepper.  Add a bit of salt to create the bacon-esque illusion.  I don't like salt, so I keep it to a minimum.  Whisk until all combined.  There should be a bit of "air" in the mix.


In an oven proof dish, layer the potatoes across the bottom, sprinkle diced onion, then pour some of the egg mixture on top.  I do this 3 times.... but generally until you have run out of potato slices or egg mixture.


Sprinkle cheese on top, with more salt and pepper.  Then place into a hot oven at 180 degrees.  Watch the fritatta.  Cooking times will vary.  Mine was thick so took like 45 minutes.  A thinner fritatta takes less time.  Just wait until the egg is solid and the cheese is browned.


Cut while warm into servings.  We had 2 servings for dinner, and the rest were cooled, wrapped and refrigerated and sent in lunchboxes.  It holds up well over the journey to work/school, and tastes great hot or cold.  I have also been known to include corn kernels,  peas, carrots, capsicum or other bits and pieces leftover in the fridge... but this was made at the end of a grocery week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment