Monday, November 21, 2011

Making some Hummus


I LOVE hummus, oh, if I could go to Turkey, I would come back so filled with hummus, tabbouleh and felafel.  Yum!  But, I was so keen to eat Turkish, but so lacking in hummus..... I sorta had eaten it all!

Shocking....

So I made my own, and was really impressed with the result.  I also got to use more of my Fernridge Olive Oil, infused with Garlic.  (It is spectacular, and made by an ex-teacher of mine)

This is the recipe.  Oh, it would pay to REALLY like Garlic to try this.  Or just omit the garlic and use regular olive oil!


Ingredients

1 cup chick peas.  You could use a can, but rinse the peas first. 
1/4 small onion
2 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon (or a little more, I lost track) olive oil

Soak the chickpeas overnight.  Rinse the water off and drain well. 
Cut up the onion and chop the garlic.  Throw this either into the food processor, or a container.  I used a stick blender because the clean-up is WAY easier, and nothing additional has to smell of garlic.
Add chick peas, and sprinkle with olive oil and lemon juice.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
Blitz that stuff.  Go slow to start because it takes time for the oil and liquids to mix with the dry ingredients.  Pulse til smooth.

Transfer to an airtight container and store.

Look out for how I used the hummus....


One of my students tried to steal some today because it smelt so good.  I know, awesome... Always good to find another garlic lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment